Let me just say that I don’t know whether or not this is an authentic African recipe. The friend who passed on this African Chickpea Dip recipe to me definitely wasn’t African, but she did love simple, quick and healthy food. This recipe is a quick and easy alternative to hummus that you can easily bash out (literally) if you want something special on bread or crackers. It is always a hit at workshops.
‘African’ Chickpea Dip
1 small clove of garlic
Chilli flakes – optional
1 lemon or lime
1 can chickpeas
Cumin to taste
- Crush garlic in mortar and pestle with a pinch of salt and chilli flakes (if using).
- Chop coriander and set aside.
- Juice and zest lemon or lime.
- Add juice, zest, chickpeas and cumin to mortar and pestle and mash lightly.
- Add chopped coriander and a few glugs of oil to hold it together.
Perfect to share with friends! Enjoy 🙂